- Drywall Repairs: Learn how to fix drywall cracks, holes, and nail pops with these DIY tips.
- Closet Lighting: Upgraded closet lighting makes it easier to find things and stay organized. Here’s how to brighten up dark closets.
- Hot Water: Hot water is convenient but comes at a cost. Find out how to keep your hot water flowing more efficiently.
Plus, answers to your home improvement questions about:
- Garbage Disposal: What is the best size garbage disposal and how hard is it to install? We recommend that Brandon gets a ½ to ¾ HP unit for better performance, which can be installed with basic plumbing and electrical skills.
- Drain Odors: Terry has a bad odor coming from one bathroom sink. She needs to take apart the drain and use a bleach solution to thoroughly clean the drain and sink.
- Stuck Windows: Why are otherwise good windows so hard to open? Mayer should open up the window trim to check if they’ve been installed too tightly.
- Ventilation: Lisa wonders if she should leave her bathroom exhaust fan running all the time. We suggest installing a humidistat timer or an air-to-air heat exchanger to improve the ventilation.
- Clogged Drain: A caustic drain cleaner burned the surface of Barry’s jacuzzi tub. We have info on a better product to clear clogged drain lines.
- Ceiling Leak: Pat has a ceiling leak coming from a dryer roof vent. Her contractor should install a different type of roof vent and check the flashing around it.
- Bathroom Heater: Should you repair or replace a bathroom heater when the fan stops working? The unit can overheat, so it’s safer for Darrell to replace the whole thing and make sure it vents outside rather than into the attic.
- Drafty Windows: Joyce hasn’t been able to stop drafts coming through her windows. We explain how to use shrink-film or temporary sealant caulk to keep out the cold.
- HVAC Systems: After removing his steam heat radiators, Steve wants to install a ducted HVAC system. We suggest restoring the steam heat and using a high-velocity, low-volume duct system for air conditioning.
Leave a Reply