- Houseplants: TikTok users reveal their top 5 favorite houseplants. Find out what they are and why they’re so popular.
- Kitchen Backsplashes: Kitchen trends come and go. Here are the kitchen backsplashes that are currently making a splash of their own.
- Termites: Termite damage can be hard to identify in cold weather. We’ll tell you what to look for.
Plus, answers to your home improvement questions about:
- Roofing: There’s one bald spot on the roof after it snows and Kathy is concerned about heat loss. It’s probably caused by warm air from the dryer exhaust duct or a gap in the insulation.
- HVAC: Tom’s heat pump system is running constantly and can’t heat the house enough. He needs a professional to do a heat loss analysis and see if the ductwork is designed and installed properly.
- Bathroom Caulk: Mary is trying to remove the caulk around her bathtub. We offer tips on how to soften the caulk to scrape it out and the best way to apply new bathtub caulk.
- Solar Panels: Should solar panels be installed on an older roof? We suggest that Lawrence consider the ROI of solar panels and if it’s worth replacing the roof before it’s necessary.
- Garage Door Openers: Laura doesn’t have the garage door openers for her garage or the code for the keypad. If she finds the model number, she can contact the manufacturer to get programming instructions and new remote controls.
- Popcorn Ceilings: The popcorn ceiling in the bathroom got wet and now it’s flaking off. If Trent wants to remove the popcorn ceiling, that’s the way to go, or else he can use a brush to clean it off and spray on textured patching material before repainting the surface.
- Energy Savings: Are solar panels or windmills a good way to lower electric bills? We advise Cindy to get info about government or utility company rebate programs that could make energy efficiency more cost-effective.
- Electrical: The three-way switches are not working properly in some of Mark’s rooms. He should have an electrician trace the wiring to make sure it was hooked up correctly.