- Roofing: Find out whether it’s time to repair or replace that old, leaky roof and how to make roof shingles last.
- Washers and Dryers: Washers and dryers can cause leaks and fires if they’re not properly maintained. Here’s what to do.
- Heat Pumps: When temperatures plummet, you’ll want an energy-efficient heat pump system to improve comfort and air quality in your home. Know what to look for.
Plus, answers to your home improvement questions about:
- Soundproofing: Is your upstairs neighbor a ceiling stomper? Hopefully the noisy neighbor will agree to add soundproofing to the flooring while Tony uses soft goods to absorb the echo in his own apartment.
- HVAC: Gina has been advised to upgrade to a high-efficiency boiler with a direct vent system. We agree it’s worth the higher cost, which will be offset by rebates and energy savings, plus added home value.
- Concrete Repair: Need to fix cracks in a stamped concrete patio? Scott gets tips on how to color silicone caulk to match the existing concrete.
- Garage Insulation: Is it a good idea to insulate a detached garage? It’s worth adding spray foam insulation and fiberglass wallboard in case Christine decides to heat the garage in the future.
- Concrete Block Stains: The leaky cellar windows have been replaced and the problem stopped, but Ross still has stains on the concrete block wall. It should be easy to remove the efflorescence with a wire brush and apply concrete paint.
- Water Heater: Yuck! Lots of gunk came out of the old water heater when it was emptied. Gwen gets advice on draining the new water heater regularly to keep hard water mineral deposits from settling at the bottom.
- Refinishing Concrete: David’s concrete patio has gotten faded from the sun. We suggest some products for cleaning, staining, and refinishing the patio to make it attractive and durable.
- Sealing Gaps: There’s a recurring gap between the bottom doorsill and the concrete walkway behind Julianne’s house. We’ll tell her how to apply epoxy repair cement that will work better than the silicone caulking she’s been using.