Spring is a season of readiness, keeping us busy with cleaning and organizing so that when summer finally arrives we can kick back and relax. Key to that summertime relaxation is a suite of sturdy, comfortable outdoor furnishings.
Your furniture bears the brunt of late-summer and autumn storms and then gets stowed away for the winter, only to be brought out into the light of day looking a lot worse for wear. Some tender loving care is all your furniture needs to get back into shape for the summer days ahead.
Here’s what you need to fix up your favorite wood furniture.
- Arrow T50 elite™ Staple & Brad Nail Gun (for wood furniture)
- Arrow All Purpose Mini Glue sticks
- Arrow T50® staples
- Arrow BN18™ brad nails
- Mild soap and water for cleaning furniture
- Paint or stain for furniture that needs a fresh finish
Wood Furniture Repair Steps
- Start by giving wood furniture a good once-over for repair needs, making sure that all pieces are securely fastened to the frame and checking to see that all connection points are sturdy, legs are strong, and the finish isn’t flaking off. Once you have a good assessment, thoroughly clean furniture surfaces with the soap and water mixture; allow to dry thoroughly.
- If your wood furniture has any loose pieces along the back or seat, reattach them using the Arrow T50elite™ Staple Gun, which gives you the option of using a staple or brad nail to properly fasten the loose component. Depending on the location of the loose piece you may need a longer staple or brad so choose the fastener accordingly, keeping in mind that half of the fastener needs to reach into the material to which you are fastening for the best support.
- If the finish on your wood furniture needs rejuvenation, this is a great time to refinish the piece. Sand off the existing finish to the point at which you reach raw wood, then apply new stain or an exterior paint for super-saturated color that will instantly update your outdoor décor.
Metal Furniture Repair Steps
Remember the day last fall when you stuffed those worn folding chairs and that rusted metal side table into the back of your storage shed? It’s time to take them out and work a little magic to create like-new furnishings you didn’t know you needed. Shop your local home improvement center for handy Arrow Fastener tools and smart supplies to make the following furniture transformations.
- For woven furnishings or aluminum-frame furniture with sling fabric, a glue gun is a great tool for a quick fix-up. Reattach any frayed edges with a quick dab from your Arrow MT300™ Mini Glue Gun.
- Simple metal furniture gets a second life with a sanding of rusty spots followed by a coat of a rust-proof spray paint. The hottest colors for spring and summer tend to be punchy, bright hues—think orange, turquoise, red, green and yellow. Spray paint is so affordable and easy to apply that you’ll be able to be on-trend every year!
- Folding lawn chairs with loose or sagging straps can be restored with your Arrow RHT300™ Twister Rivet Tool. Use it to reattach those unruly fabric straps. If you need new strapping, it can easily be sourced online in a range of great color combinations.