Remodeling a home green is easier than you think. There are dozens of easy ideas for how to do just that. In fact, according to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), there are also lots of reasons to go green.
- Lowers energy consumption
- Reduces operating costs in the home by increasing efficiency
- Conserves natural resources
- Increases the value of the home
- Improves indoor air quality and in turn, overall health
- Reduces waste and emissions
- Lowers pollution causing less harm to the environment
- Increases productivity of occupants
- Improves quality of life and raises comfort
- Saves money
Top Ten Ideas to Implement Green Into Your Home. Green remodeling can be done in small ways and doesn't necessarily have to encompass the entire home. It's easy to pick and choose elements that fit each particular homeowner.
- Use non-toxic paints and sealants
- Install programmable thermostats
- Invest in energy efficient appliances
- Install natural flooring
- Use local building materials
- Choose natural fiber rugs and fabrics
- Select recycled material roof shingles and tiles
- Specify energy efficient lighting
- Insulate your hot water pipes
- Landscape with native plants
NARI is a professional association whose members voluntarily subscribe to a strict code of ethics. Consumers may wish to search www.RemodelToday.com to find a qualified professional who is a member of NARI and familiar with green remodeling practices.