LESLIE: Nadine in Oregon is dealing with a moldy situation. What’s going on at your money pit?
NADINE: Hi. I was calling to see – there was some mold in the closet my sister did …
NADINE: … and she said that – she pulled some of the wall out and they even replaced them and then there’s more and more and more. And she was cleaning it with water and bleach and it isn’t doing anything.
TOM: Well, if it’s a significant amount, you’re really going to need to get an expert in there. We’ve got to identify the source of the moisture and see if we can get to the bottom of this problem because when you take building materials, air and moisture together, they will grow mold. Very common, Nadine, to have mold in a closet because you don’t get a lot of air movement in there.
LESLIE: Well, it’s not a conditioned space, generally.
TOM: Right, so you get a lot of humidity. And if you have a little bit of mold, you can usually spray it with a bleach-and-water solution and that will kill what’s there. But if you have a lot of it, you’re better off getting a pro in because if your sister gets in there and starts really tearing things up, she may spread some of that mold to the rest of the house; could make her or other members of the family very sick.
TOM: Alright, Nadine? So get a pro, get some help, get it done right the first time. Thanks so much for calling us at 888-MONEY-PIT.