Not every room has instant architectural interest, but you can create a dynamic look by installing molding that is reasonably priced, paintable and offered at any home improvement center. Here are just a few of the many affordable ways installing molding and trim can give a space an expensive look.
- Add crown molding to a room, and you also add pedigree. Profiles range from simple to elaborate, and some can create the illusion of a sculpted ceiling.
- Install a chair rail to add elegance and definition to a space. This element also creates the opportunity to marry two complementary colors or a solid color and pattern for additional visual interest.
- Use a small crown molding and parallel trim piece to make a frieze along the top perimeter of a room, and paint a border design or apply texture or an allover pattern between the boundaries.
- Apply beautiful pieces of wallpaper directly to a wall and then trim out with decorative molding for a pretty framed-art effect. Or swap in solid color as a backdrop to a collection of framed photos or other keepsakes.
- Change a room’s mood by installing molding and painting with colors from a tone-on-tone palette or by using contrasting colors for dramatic effect.