Converting a garage into a spare room can be a cost effective way to add useable living space to your home, and can be a wise move for a number of reasons. Perhaps you like the neighborhood you're in and don't want to leave it. Perhaps it's too expensive to move or the housing market is not favorable for either buyers or sellers. Perhaps you have a new addition to the family, want extra income by renting out the room, or maybe you have a lifestyle change that requires making space wherever you can get it.
Whatever your reason, nowadays garage conversions to a spare room are easy. With a few careful considerations and an easy to follow checklist, your garage conversion can place you well on your way to a beautiful new room.
Alt=garage conversion ideasEvaluate the Cost-Benefit Ratio of Your Garage Conversion
- Get architectural plans
- Apply for and secure permits
- Frame the room and connect to the existing plumbing
- Do electrical wiring
- Connect to existing HVAC unit if necessary, or invest in a garage heater. Heater Home is good source to review the many models that are available.
- Add insulation if necessary
- Put up drywall
- Install flooring/carpeting
- Finish up carpentry, paint and any finishing touches to complete your garage conversion.