Accidental poisonings at home are a serious problem, but a study finds most Americans aren’t taking the simple steps needed to prevent accidental poisoning.
According to the Home Safety Council, accidental poisoning is the second leading cause of home injury death in the United States. Yet, a new survey by the Council found that only one percent of Americans ranked poisoning at the top of the list of home safety concerns. Less than 20% had locks on cabinets or have the phone number for the Poison Control Hotline posted.
Poisons can be found in any room of the home, but are most commonly located under the kitchen sink, in the bathroom and in storage areas including the garage, basement and laundry room. To prevent accidental poisoning, The Home Safety Council recommends a home walk-through. Take a look in every room and pay careful attention to the rooms where harmful products are most commonly stored.
To prevent accidental poisoning in homes where young children live or visit, put child safety locks on cabinets to safely store chemicals, cleaners, medicines, cosmetics and other toxic and/or caustic products. Follow all safety labels when using harsh chemicals or cleaning products. Be sure to wear safety gloves and masks. Do not mix products together because their contents could react with dangerous results.
Another way to prevent accidental poisoning is to discard outdated prescriptions properly and keep them locked out of reach of curious teenagers and young adults. Post the Poison Control Help number (1-800-222-1222) and other emergency numbers near every phone and store them to your cell phone. Call the Help number if you have a question about poisons.
For more information on how to prevent accidental poisoning at home, please visit www.mysafehome.org.