Summary: Learn how to avoid dangers from carbon monoxide poisoning. Find out how cleaning your stove and installing a carbon monoxide meter can help protect your home.
TOM: Carbon monoxide can be a silent killer. This colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas can form anywhere in your home. Here’s what you need to know to keep you and your family safe.
Heating systems are probably one of the most common sources of carbon monoxide poison. If a system is not cleaned and operating correctly it can easily generate carbon monoxide gas that can quickly fill an entire house. Your stove can do the same thing since most stoves burn natural gas that gas can also turn into carbon monoxide if the stove is not cleaned and operating properly.
Speaking of cooking appliances, here’s a less obvious one that can be a huge generate of carbon monoxide, a charcoal grill. Have you ever been tempted to pull one of these inside a garage on say a cold or rainy day? Don’t do it. Let me show you why.
This is a monoxider. It’s a professional piece of equipment for measuring carbon monoxide. Now if this display goes over 50 you could be in serious trouble. Let’s see how much carbon monoxide comes off a simple charcoal fire.
Wow, look at that go. This meter just peaked at over 1900 parts per million. If this grill was inside this garage it could quickly wipe out an entire family.
The best way to protect your family is to buy one of these, a carbon monoxide detector. This is going to monitor the air 24/7 to make sure that it’s safe to breathe. Now if you could only afford one, make sure you install it up here near the bedroom because most carbon monoxide deaths occur when you sleep.