Appropriate Filler for an Area 2yds X 6" Between Two Unlevel Spaces That Would Give Continuous Solid Support for Linoleum?

Submitted By
2 expert, -1 community

Concerning our linoleum kitchen floor which cracks between the old floor and the addition floor:
The house was built in the 1950’s. The kitchen floor is wood with several layers of linoleum. An eating area was added in 1975 with a concrete pad for a floor. The connecting problem threshold space between the old kitchen and the new addition is 2 yards long and 6” wide. The linoleum has continually cracked. We have put duct tape across the cracks so we won’t trip.
We pulled up the duct tape and cut out the cracked linoleum to figure out a remedy. There’s rotting wood AND the old wood floor is not exactly level with the new concrete. The wood floor may be ¼ inches lower, give or take, differing a little across the problem threshold space. If we poured in a filler between two LEVEL spaces, it would work.

We bought a hardwood threshold to lay on top of the problem area (see below info). I am reluctant to do this because I would rather have a smooth surface of linoleum.
1 x Oak ADA Compliant Interior Threshold (INT-THRESH-ADA-) = $63.60
Select Threshold Size 6 1/2" x 8' (96")

  • What do you use to fill an area 2 yards long and 6 inches wide between two UNLEVEL spaces that would give continuous solid support for linoleum?
So, is there a solution other than a ½ inch bump of a wood threshold?

Post new answer

Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.


The wood threshold is really the best option here, especially since the floor has decayed before.  Unless this is one continous, solid floor, it will always show some movement, cracks, etc.  The saddle therefore, really makes the most sense. 

0 users found this helpful
You voted
Was this answer helpful?