Confused by competing claims of water source, safety and purity? So were we. Here's a short list to help clear up the cloud:
- Spring Water: Must flow naturally to the earth's surface from an underground formation; source must be stated on bottled water label.
- Sparkling Water: Spring water with natural bubbles or with carbon dioxide added.
- Purified Water: Water (often tap) that is processed to remove minerals and contaminants.
- Selzer/Soda Water: Usually carbonated municipal water, sometimes filtrated.
- Mineral Water: Must contain at least 250 parts per billion of naturally occurring minerals.
- Artesian Water: From tapping a confined aquifer, in which the water level is higher than the top of the aquifer.