Video report by Tom Kraeutler on a home that’s suspected to have a serious mold problem. Learn what to look out for when examining your own home for signs of mold.
Early this month, a family in southern California was reported to have used an oven to try to stay warm in the cold temperatures, resulting in the deaths of two people from carbon monoxide poisoning. This tragic incident is a reminder that carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal, but can be prevented through proper use, installation and maintenance of natural gas appliances.
It’s important not to use your oven, range or outdoor barbecue to heat your home, because these appliances are not designed for such use and pose a severe and potentially fatal risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if used for space heating.
Many local utilities, including the Southern California Gas Co., offer furnace safety checks at no cost to customers, or customers can call a licensed, qualified professional to ensure their appliances are operating properly.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is formed when carbon-based fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, charcoal or wood, are burned with inadequate amounts of oxygen, creating a condition known as incomplete combustion. When incomplete combustion occurs, carbon monoxide is produced, and this can potentially lead to carbon monoxide poisoning to a family.
The early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning produce unexplained flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath and mental confusion. Since carbon monoxide displaces the oxygen in the blood, prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to death.
Signs that may indicate the presence of carbon monoxide:
A yellow, large and unsteady gas appliance burner flame.
An unusual pungent odor when the appliance is operating. This may indicate the creation of aldehydes, a by-product of incomplete combustion.
Unexplained nausea, drowsiness and flu-like symptoms.
What to do if someone suspects carbon monoxide is present in their home:
If safe to do so, immediately turn off the suspected gas appliance.
Evacuate the premises and call 911.
Seek medical attention if anyone in the home experiences possible carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.
Contact the gas company or a licensed, qualified professional immediately to have the appliance inspected.
Don't use the suspected appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by the gas company or a licensed, qualified professional.
Make your bathroom safer. Find out how keeping your bathroom floor clean and dry and using a non-slip pad under throw rugs will prevent falls in your bathroom.
Compare types of luxury bedding, including Egyptian cotton, bamboo and silk. Find out which type of high quality bedding is best for you.
Take caution, because chemical de-icers can be hazardous to pets. Find out how to avoid poisoning your pets by using pet-friendly de-icing products or sand and gravel.
Get tips on how to safely change, throw away or clean up a broken CFL. Learn how to keep you and your family safe and green, the EPA recommends you follow these tips on how to handle, clean up and dispose of compact fluorescent light bulbs.
In honor of National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week, we offer these safety tips for renovating in homes containing lead paint.
The Stanley 170 pc. Mechanics Tool Set includes everything dad needs in one durable and easy to carry set.
Stanley 3-in-1 LED flashlight is three flashlights in one. Each can be removed and used separately, or all three can be combined for maxiumum light output.
Trane, a leading maker of home heating and cooling systems, has introduced Trane CleanEffects™, which delivers vastly more clean air throughout your home than any other residential air cleaner technology.
If your home tests positive for radon gas, radon mitigation is a critical first step to protecting your family’s health and preventing lung cancer. Find out how about radon detection and how radon mitigation systems can be installed to safely remove radon gas and the home health threat it brings.
The energy efficient gas fireplace, Rinnai’s 750 Fireplace, is designed to look like a traditional fireplace, but uses just the right amount of gas to get to the set temperature. Rinnai’s 750 Fireplace has a child lock-out feature for safety, is available in your choice of color or trim, and has a full function remote.
Installing the PermaFlow self cleaning drain system eliminates the need for harsh chemical cleaners and prevents contaminant buildup. The PermaFlow self cleaning drain system is comprised of recyclable components and is two drains in one.
Find out how to prevent condensation on windows, reduce home humidity and how to choose replacement windows that can help keep condensation outdoors. Preventing window condensation begins with understanding the effects of humidity inside your home.
Find out how a Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist (CAPS) can assist you in making changes or home modifications that will allow aging seniors to stay home longer while living more comfortably and safely. Working with an Aging-In-Place Specialist can help you enjoy your home for as long as possible.
Mold growth isn’t always easy to see, but a musty smells musty can signal it’s presence. Learn about mold’s favorite hiding places, and how to uncover mold without causing mold spores to spread to other locations in your home.
When you buy bottled water, are you confused by competing claims of water source, safety and purity? So were we. Here's an outline of the types of bottled water and what you can expect from each type of bottled water.
Tips for bathroom renovations, Bathroom Exhaust Fan and ventilation that will help you create a bathroom that looks great, performs well, and is relaxingly beautiful.
Find out five ways to control allergens and pollutants by using air purifiers and simple ways to clear the air and protect your family from asthma, allergies and other health problems.
Learn how to improve the residential indoor air quality by avoiding chemicals, dust mites, allergens and other household toxins.
Find out how to plant a vegetable garden to save money and ensure the freshest produce is coming from your backyard.
Home improvements that help increase the value of your home improvement projects and environment. There are many ways to go green, save money and help the environment through green remodeling projects.
Radon is a colorless, odorless gas that occurs naturally when uranium in the soil breaks down. If inhaled, radon can cause damage to your lung tissues and can lead to lung cancer.
Learn to identify the two most common forms asbestos in your home and avoid The risk of asbestos exposure. If the asbestos can be easily released to the air, then there is a substantial risk of exposure in your home