00:00/ 00:00
  • Transcript

    LESLIE: Royce in Texas is calling in with a brick question. What can we help you with?

    ROYCE: Yes, my house is on pier and beam and it’s shifting and I have some small cracks in the brick like 1/2-inch to, oh, 3/4-inch wide in some spots. And I was wondering the best way to seal those; if mortar mix would be a good way to seal or if I should use something else.

    TOM: So, cracks in the brick are generally reparable with silicone caulk. You don’t want to use mortar because, if you do, what’s going to happen is the mortar will freeze and fall out. If you have any type of damage to masonry, you generally want to use a silicone caulk or an epoxy patching compound if it’s big enough and you can trowel it in.

    ROYCE: OK, an epoxy patching compound.

    LESLIE: Mm-hmm.

    TOM: That’s right, an epoxy compound. You can buy that at a home center or hardware store.

    ROYCE: But it’s called e-p-o-x-y?

    TOM: That’s right. Mm-hmm, that’s correct. That’s what sticks to concrete or brick and will be permanent and won’t fall out.

    ROYCE: Oh, OK. And you just put that in like with a trowel or something?

    TOM: That’s correct, Royce.

    ROYCE: Oh, OK. Alright.

    TOM: Alright, but if it’s just a hairline crack or maybe open an 1/8-inch, I would just caulk that and use silicone for that.

    ROYCE: OK. Thank you so much.

    TOM: You’re welcome, Royce. Thanks so much for calling us at 1-888-MONEY-PIT.

Leave a Reply


More tips, ideas and inspiration to fuel your next home improvement, remodeling or décor project!