TOM: Soon enough, you may find yourself gathered around a candlelit table for a traditional Thanksgiving feast. But what makes this holiday festive can also be a major fire hazard. Hi. I’m Tom Kraeutler.
LESLIE: And I’m Leslie Segrete with today’s Money Pit Home Improvement Minute.
TOM: Each year, more than 15,000 house fires are caused by candles. For a safe holiday, don’t leave candles unattended. Keep them away from flammable items and clip the wick to a quarter-inch before burning.
LESLIE: Space candles at least three inches apart and use a snuffer to extinguish flames. Blowing on candles causes the hot wax to spray and putting cool water on a hot candle can cause its glass or ceramic holder to break.
TOM: Next, avoid burning candles all the way down. Snuff them out when there’s about two inches of wax left. Finally, always keep burning candles within sight and extinguished when leaving a room or going to sleep.
LESLIE: With these tips in mind, you’ll enjoy a safe, beautifully-illuminated Thanksgiving meal. I’m Leslie Segrete.
TOM: And I’m Tom Kraeutler. For more Money Pit Home Improvement Tips, visit moneypit.com.