TOM: The holidays may be a time of celebrating, but avoiding holiday fire hazards will make sure your celebration is not memorable for the wrong reason. Hi, I’m Tom Kraeutler.
LESLIE: And I’m Leslie Segrete with today’s Money Pit Home Improvement Minute. Holiday time can increase the risk of fire for so many reasons. For one, we cook a lot more and food left on a stove too long is a leading cause of home fires.
TOM: Also use care when selecting your tree. Be sure artificial trees are labeled fire-resistant. And with live trees, check for freshness by making sure that needles are soft and hard to pull off the branches, then keep that fresh tree well-watered.
LESLIE: And don’t overload electrical outlets. Use lighting that is UL-rated and choose LED lighting when possible because the bulbs just don’t get hot.
TOM: Make sure your fireplace and chimney are clean and burn only seasoned or dry wood and not wrapping paper, which might ignite a flash fire that is really hard to control. I’m Tom Kraeutler.
LESLIE: And I’m Leslie Segrete. For more Money Pit Home Improvement tips, visit moneypit.com.