00:00/ 00:00
  • Transcript

    LESLIE: Lisa in Illinois, you’ve got The Money Pit. How can we help you today?

    LISA: I bought an old, two-story, 100-year-old storefront building – a two-story, balloon-frame construction – and I’ve had it completely gutted. Now I’m wondering, after the electrician, what kind of insulation do you recommend. I’m considering wet cellulose or spider fiberglass.

    TOM: OK.

    LISA: And I wondered if those are what you recommend. I know foam is a really great insulator but I can’t afford to do the whole structure in foam.

    TOM: So the walls are off right now?

    LISA: Yeah, it’s completely gutted.

    TOM: Right. Yeah, I mean a product like isonene would be really cool …

    LISA: Yeah.

    TOM: … because you could blow it in and seal up all those old gaps. But if you can’t go that way, I guess I would probably just use a standard fiberglass. I would just make sure I did a really good job with choosing the right thickness so that we get it through the entire wall cavity. I would make sure to use a vapor barrier on the inside surface. And I think that you’ll find a very well-insulated, comfortable building if you do that.

Leave a Reply


More tips, ideas and inspiration to fuel your next home improvement, remodeling or décor project!