Extinguishing Grease Fires

Tips for grease fire safety and prevention

Most household fires can be extinguished with water, but grease fires that begin in the kitchen should NEVER have water added to them. Spilled grease can ignite an oven or pan quickly. Using water on a grease fire will only increase the flames and splatter, spreading, not dousing, the fire.

Instead, if the flames are manageable, evacuate the area and smother the fire with a large amount of baking soda. occurrs. By keeping a handful of baking soda in a bag or container near your stove or under your sink, you can be prepared just in case of a grease fire. Never try and move flaming grease outside. And don't try to put out any large fire yourself. Hopefully no grease fires will start in your kitchen, but with these tips you are now fully prepared.