In some cases, a home sale can also be an invitation for danger. Strangers are coming in and out of your home at will. It's a perfect situation for a professional thief to case your house, locate valuables and know your home's layout - essentially giving him a dress rehearsal for a burglary. You also need to be aware of opportunists who may see something of value and swipe it out of temptation.
Here are some things you can do to make the home selling process safer:
- Ask anyone who has made an appointment for their ID.
- Ask potential buyers for their pre-approval letters.
- Lock up and hide collectibles and valuables.
- Don't allow your children to open doors to strangers.
- If you have pets, make sure they are controlled.
Your best bet is to use a real estate professional to screen potential buyers to make sure they are there for the right reasons.