Did you know (it is rarely mentioned) that you can get lead poisoning from growing food in soil contaminated with lead? People plant edibles next to their house or compost orimentals grown next to their house with their other compost and then put it with their edibles. Sometimes houses or buildings are demolished that had lead paint and then community gardens are made there. Be safe, have the soil tested if there is any question.
I got lead poisoning a few years back and the treatment is to take iron and calcium (ant acids) suppliments for a few weeks to bind it up and "flush it out". If you're feeling stupid give this a try and go to your doctor of course - taking the suppliments in the reccommended dosage won't hurt and will get you started sooner if you have to wait to see the doctor.
Always clean up all paint chips from remodeling on homes with lead based paint - put down drop cloths and wear a good dust mask.