How Do I Replace Missing Craftsman Exterior Trim?

Submitted By
1 expert, 0 community

I recently purchased a 1934 home in Baltimore that features Craftsman details, including the trim that runs along the entire perimeter of the exterior of the house. It starts about four inches off the ground and wraps all the way around. The trim is a wide, flat piece of wood with another piece above it to create a lip on the top. That lip is 2 inches deep and 3/4 inch tall. The wide flat piece below that is about 9 inches in height.  I don't really know how deep either piece is as they attach to the house's stucco exterior.

The problem I have is that there's one side of the house where the lip is missing. There is just a single flat piece of trim.  The weird thing is that nowhere else on the house does it look like the lip on the top is attached to the flat piece.  So maybe both pieces were removed and replaced with one taller flat piece without a lip?

Here are my questions:
Does this style of trim have a name?
How does it normally attach to the exterior wall?
Should I remove this flat piece to reinstall the lip?
What type of wood is used for this trim?


Post new answer

Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.