Cracks and Spaces in Block Foundation Wall

Submitted By
Filed Under
0 expert, 1 community

We are considering purchasing a very inexpensive 960 sq foot 1 story, Vermont, vacation home, built in 1953. Inexpensive, because the block foundation on the back of the house has 2 sections of about 8 blocks each that look like you could push them through, a visible gap between one corner and the block wall and the roof line is crooked because of the partially sinking foundation. Question: what would be the procedure to repair these large issues and what would be a ball park cost to hire a contractor or mason to do the work? I think it's a crawl space situation.

Post new answer

Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.


I wouldn't do it if I were you. First, I would never buy a home with foundation problems, even if it was inexpensive. How can you be sure that the "fix" isn't going to cause problems upstairs with doors, windows, sheetrock, etc? Second, crawl spaces if not encapsulated can be really unhealthy and unpleasant to live with. 

Foundation repair is expensive. It usually involves a number of options depending on what the problems are. If it's sinking as you say, it could call for piers (mucho expensive). If the walls are bowing or if they have gaping holes, it might means braces, helical piers, or replacing the wall entirely.

I looked into having two of my foundation walls replaced. I was looking at about $250 per lineal foot. I decided to wait a while because that is a huge amount of money, uncertain benefits, and potential for damage upstairs.

I would move on.

0 users found this helpful
You voted
Was this answer helpful?