Black Friday is intense; but I actually find it invigorating. We don’t have much of an “art of the deal” in our culture, but Black Friday is one of the few occasions where bargain-hunting goes a little crazy (usually in a fun way). It may surprise you to hear that Black Friday is a great day to shop for furnishings—for the most part, the shopping mobs are drawn to other items, but it’s still possible to find deep, deep discounts if you know where to look. It’s the best of both worlds! Here are a few home accoutrements you can pick up on Black Friday.
1. Home improvement supply You wouldn’t expect things like laminate flooring to get slashed for Black Friday (who wants laminate flooring in their stocking?), but it turns out that many consumers buy home improvement supplies on Black Friday so they can surprise their significant others with a new kitchen, new hardwood floors, etc. Often the deepest discounts are on mid-range supplies, so do some homework beforehand to make sure that the cheap item you’re buying will actually be an improvement over what you currently have.
2. Media center You’ve got to be ready for battle to shop for electronics and media on Black Friday, but it’s possible to find some fantastic deals to outfit a media center in your home. The most routinely discounted electronics items are low-to-mid-range, so it might not be the time to pick up your Super Bowl TV, but if you want to outfit a spare room or play room for kids, it’s a great time to pick up a mid-range TV. For small items that are easy to ship, like video games or small consumer electronics, don’t fight the crowds—instead, wait for Cyber Monday, and buy online. Check out these Cyber Monday tablet deals, and use your time on Black Friday for big items that you need to be in the store for.
3. Outdoor features For whatever reason, retailers heavily discount outdoor accoutrements like fire pits, chimeneas, and sconces for Black Friday. Since most consumers aren’t thinking about spending a whole lot of time relaxing in their backyards with the weather getting colder, these sales are a way to remind consumers that those manufacturers are still out there. It also means that lines and mobs won’t be too much of a problem—with everyone else clawing each other’s eyes out in the toy and electronics stores, you can have a leisurely shopping experience at your local home improvement retailer.
4. Mattresses Mattresses can be a huge expense, but if you think about it, a high-quality mattress is going to determine your comfort for a third of your life! It’s worth going big. And on Black Friday, you can routinely find mattresses at prices up to 75% off—making an upgrade eminently manageable. Many Black Friday retailers also offer incentives like free shipping, which can make a huge difference in getting that king-size monster home from the store.
5. Sofas, lounges, etc. It isn’t just Wal-Mart and Best Buy that want your attention on Black Friday—IKEA, La-Z-Boy, and other furniture retailers stage an epic battle for market share on the busiest shopping day of the year as well. JCPenney also offers solid mid-range furniture options on Black Friday, and stores like Sears and Kohl’s will do their best to offload accents, rugs, and smaller furnishings as well. It’s a great time to get your home outfitted for the new year, don’t miss it!
Patricia Shuler is a BBGeeks.com staff writer from Oakland, California. She’s an admitted tech-junkie who’s quick to share her honest opinion on all things consumer electronic—including up-to-date news, user reviews, and “no holds barred” opinions on a variety of social media, tech, computer, and mobile accessories topics.