LESLIE: Sandra in Utah possibly has a mold situation. Tell us about what’s going on and what you think is happening.
TOM: There’s a good chance that that’s stachybotrys which is a potentially toxic mold, so what we would recommend that you do is to mix up some bleach-and-water solution and spray it. That will kill the mold and then you could clean it but you need to take respiratory protection so that you don’t breathe in the spores as you’re doing this.
Now, the second thing that you really should do is ventilate that space; and so, if this is a bathroom cabinet that it’s occurring in you might want to put some vents in there. You could use like a louvered style vent or something in a less conspicuous place, perhaps on the side, and try to get some air in there because the combination of everything is allowing this to grow.
SANDRA: Do you think there could be mold underneath it against the wall?
TOM: Well, it’s possible but it sounds like a very small amount right now, so I wouldn’t get too panicked about it. I just wouldn’t let it grow anymore.
SANDRA: Do you only need to spray it once?
TOM: Yeah, saturate it; not too wet, you know, and let it sit for 15, 20 minutes and then you can clean it off.
SANDRA: Alright. Well, thank you.
TOM: You’re welcome. Thanks so much for calling us at 888-MONEY-PIT.