Candles can be a festive way to decorate, but keep in mind that home fires caused by candles peak during the holiday season. Use the following safety tips when decorating with candles:
A lit candle can cause a fire in the blink of an eye. Never leave burning candles unattended even for a short time. Extinguish all candles before going to sleep or leaving the room.
- For your children's safety, do not permit children to keep or use candles or incense in their rooms. Candles and candle-making kits should only be used when an adult is present and awake.
- Never use lighted candles on or within three feet of a Christmas tree or other greenery.
- Keep candle flames at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including other decorations and wrapping paper.
- Always use stable, nonflammable candle holders (such as ceramic or glass). For an extra safety measure, use a hurricane-lamp enclosure around the flame.
- Place candles where they will not be knocked down or blown over and well away from drapes, blinds and other materials that can burn.
- Always keep burning candles up high and out of the reach of children and pets. If you have children living in or visiting your home, store candles, matches and lighters out of their sight and reach (preferably locked away).
- Consider an electric Menorah. If you must have the real thing, choose a Menorah with sturdy candle holders that will not tip or burn and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
Always remember safety first when using candles. This will ensure for a happier and safer experience during the holiday season.